I'm sure this subject has come up many times, but after checking the latest posts, I've realized the symptoms described there are different from my problem. As mentioned in the subject title, the car is a 95 Contour GL, Duratec ATX. I can't give more details because it's not mine. The problem is that the idle goes up and down between less than 500 and 1000rpm even when cold and sometimes the down motion is so much it stalls. The car seems ok while driving, with normal throttle response and power, but when stopping and not pressing the gas, the idle starts going up and down about once or twice per second until it stalls. Interestingly, when I disconnect the MAF sensor the idle becomes stable, albeit sometimes getting up to 1000rpm, but at least it's drivable and the engine performs normally. I left the MAF sensor disconnected so my friend could drive home without having to press both gas and brake when in a traffic light. Could someone help me? Is driving with the MAF sensor disconnnected a bad idea?

Thank you!