Originally posted by Rogerm60:
Fan problem would definately cause low speed overheating.

Agreed, but you would think, in current 32-40 degree ambient in Utah and 30mph free-flowing city street driving, fan should not be required.

Some random order thoughts (due to time constraints):

-A check of hi-speed fan operation, i.e., turn a/c on, would be useful check on the fan motors being ok, but under 50 ambient may not let a/c come on.
-Low speed relay unique so not possible to substitute relay from another position. Fuse 2 60 amp in engine fuse box has been confirmed ok?
-Replacing rad may have interfered with fan wiring.

-With new rad, wp and 'stat coolant flow should be ok, and of course your heater is working ok?
-Engine with timing off can cause overheat, but doesn't appear applicable here.

At the moment I'm stumped, will check back in am.

Edit:
Was the replacement rad new or used? Basic problem seems to be similar to plugged rad/blockage/poor flow in cooling system, i.e., it can't deal with slight increase in engine heat generation. Working fan would deal with symptom but not root cause.
Always a possibility that temp sender is exagerating actual engine temp.

Observing temp rise at idle from cold start probably best starting point. Car in neutral, headlights, blower & rear defrost on, temp should rise to "normal" position of gauge. As car temp rises (usually a 1 letter change on temp needle) lo-speed fan should kick in, reducing temp and causing fan to shut off.

Last edited by horseydug; 02/04/03 12:13 PM.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km