Originally posted by Swazo:
.... I wasn't sure what temp themestat to get for my SVT. Since I KNOW that the Pep boys guys would have even less of an idea than I do.....I was going to swing by the dealership tomarrow. Anyone know off hand what temp I need just incase the counter guy is as smart as I KNOW he'll (she'll) be?

You're no doubt expecting a simple answer like 195 or 180 degrees - no can do. This is a common replacement part but nowhere in my Ford '97/'98 owner's guides, '97 service manual or '98 service cd does Ford give such a spec. They only list the following info in their service manual:

Thermostat spec V6 (I4)
Starts to open: 183-190 (187-194)
Fully open: 210 (216)

I've never had mine out so I don't know what is stamped
on the button. Here's an old thread on the subject:

http://www.contour.org/archive/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB3&Number=141545&Forum=UBB3&Words=thermostat&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=3&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=141545&Search=true#Post141545

In view of above, go easy on parts person.

BTW I doubt yours needs replacing, you can check it after removal by boiling in pot of water. Stuck thermostats and faulty waterpumps usually detectable at idle from cold start as temp needle heads for the red zone. The post by fordcontoursport above gives the other symptoms to determine which is at fault.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km