I hang my head in shame as I type this message...

I have been working on my '96 Tour for the last week and still can't solve the problem. My tour won't run unless I hold down the gas pedal. It take 10-12 cranks to start and it barely idles without dying. Once it is warmed up, it will idle, but BARELY. Also, it stinks of gas when I'm holding down the gas pedal to warm it up. I have tried/replaced EVERYTHING and can't find the problem. I have connected my OBD-II scanner but it's not throwing any codes and there aren't and pending codes. I fear that I may have to take it into the dealer on Monday. Please help!!!

What I've replaced:
Injectors
Fuel Filter
MAF
EGR
PCV with Tube and rubber "T" fitting
Vacuum hose from PCV "T" to unknown solenoid on firewall
IAC
IAT
Thermostat
Accel Coil Pack
FRPP 9mm Spark Plug wires
Autolite Double Platinum Plugs
O2 sensors - upper and lower

What I've tried:
Putting old MAF back on
Cleaning old and new MAF with electrical contact cleaner - no change
Putting stock intake back on (instead of CTA intake) - no change
Disconnecting all vacuum lines and plugging ports on intake manifold - no change but ran worse when unplugging any port
Disconnected EGR vacuum line - no change
Unplugging MAF - no change
Checking spark with inductive timing lite - seems OK
Removing accessory drive belt to rule out a bad bearing - don't worry I only ran it for a few seconds with it off
Reset computer between each test
Checked fuel pressure - varies from 30 to 40psi, but never goes below 30

The only things that I haven't replaced are the DPFE solenoid and the fuel pump. I think that the DPFE is OK because I've disconnected the EGR and haven't observed any change. I'm not sure about the fuel pump tho... Could I be getting the right pressure but not getting the proper flow?

Any ideas?

TIA,
BP

Last edited by ButtonPuncher; 01/05/03 05:58 AM.

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.