Hello.

I'm new here, and a new owner of a 1998 Ford Contour SE Sport and I really like the car. It is exactly what I was looking for.

Problem is, I'm 23 years old, and I cannot afford to have purchased a car that has a major problem.

I would like your advice so I can address the problem right away with the dealer if there is one.(Well, complain at least)

I have searched the forum for a general idea of possibilities but I'm not very car savvy and I would like to ask some simpler questions.

My last car was a Honda Civic CX hatchback and I had really decent fuel economy. Now, I am getting about 350 KM per full tank of gas which to me is not so good. However, I am not used to the bigger engine. I drive the car pretty good I think... I change gears at about 2500 rpm... I think I drive it really easy. 70% City, 30% hiway driving. I bought the car from a dealership, it was supposed to be "reconditioned and good as new". 68 000 km and counting.

1)So far from what I have said; does it sound as though I should be gettng better mileage?

2)If there is a problem, what would be the top 3 most expensive problems and the costs?

3)I am completely non car technical, and like most of us I am looking to spend as little as possible but in the end whatever it takes I suppose to keep this car in top shape... where should I start in diagnosing the problem? (If there is one)

Any discussion is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Keywords to help future searchs:
(I had a hard time finding info I was looking for)
poor, bad, terrible, gas, gasoline, mileage, milage, mpg, tank, gusiler, gussler, fuel, economy

1998 Ford Contour SE Sport 2.5L Duratec/5 speed 68000km and counting.