1996 Ford Contour GL
16V 4 Cylinder Zetec Engine
84,000 miles
Automatic Transmission

I did a lot of driving yesterday, and when I went to start my car, the Battery Light flickered brightly as my engine revved up and slowly faded/ flickered out as the engine wound down.

Since the car appeared to be working fine, I started driving. I noticed that the battery light would flicker on everytime I accelerated and then go off, as I released pressure on the gas.

About 30 minutes down the road, all of my interior and exterior lights began dimming, the radio shut off, and I lost power.

After pulling over and recieving several jumps (the car would almost instantly die when the jumper cables were removed), I had to have it towed back to my apartment.

If anyone could help me out here, I'd be immensely appreciative. I did a search on this problem and found simliar instances, but I had a hard time understanding it all. I'm a broke-ass musician, and only really have a basic knowledge of cars. I'm just trying to get a grasp on whats going on, before I replace an alternator, battery and cabling and still have it not fixed.

From all the other topics I've read, I can tell this is a great forum, and I really look forward to any help anyone's willing to offer.

-ant

Last edited by carshateme; 09/03/06 05:41 PM.