Originally posted by cuda06:
I am leaning toward the 944s for one because it is a great deal and also because one of the more regular participants here runs an 83 fairly well. Its always good to have some sort of a base from another's experience.

I'd snap up a 320 in a minute, but as Phil said, they are not competitive in stock form. Low power and lots of body roll. Good sedan platform on which to build, though, and cool in a bastard-child sort of way. Easy engine swaps (so I've read) from later BMWs, and suspension can always be upgraded. Wheels surprisingly goofy, though, IIRC.

But, given the choice, there's no comparison. 944 all the way. Better power and handling out of the box, and just nicer looking to boot. Parts can be expensive, but most of the "high mx cost" is from labor hours--some mundane wear parts are hard to get to (e.g., the water pump), but if you do your own wrenching and it's not your DD, it won't be so bad.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998