I took the crank from my 2.5 to the machine shop to see if it was still useable/salvageable. For those that don't know or recall I spun a bearing a while back and have been working on a 3.0L swap since. I know, its taking me forever.

Anyway, the 2.5 crank was a bit roughed up but it will be fine after all. It just needs to be cut .25mm. But the machine shop also says that not only does it have to be cut but that in one particular spot it has to be welded back UP to meet the -.25 spec.

This particular journal was in worse shape than the others and rather than take everything down to say -.50 they just want to shave everything down and then add material in the one spot and make it all .25 under standard size.

Now I've been reading up a little on people that have had their cranks cut (ouch that sounded painful lol) but I haven't heard of adding girth to one's crank before.

Seriously though. Is this just what it means to having it balanced? Is this a common practice? Safe? According to the shop they do it all the time and I'll have nothing to worry about. Should I be worried if I may want to use this for another project?

And one other thing. Does Clevite make bearings for the 2.5? I already have them for the 3.0L but I'm guessing it would be a different part# for the 2.5. Anyone got that #?

Thanks

1998.5 SVT I'm working on it. WTB 2.0L Contique.