Having tried everything else I put on a new EGR Vac Solenoid. Getting the electrical connector off of the old one was very hard - it was stuck on. The new EGR solenoid produced the code as well, but instead of taking 3 minutes for the code to appear (that's how its happened up until now) it appeared in about 3 seconds. So I stuck the old one back on, and the CEL has been off now for a whole day. The problem must be the connector or the wires that come off of it. I'll let it be for now but if the code comes back my hunch is that a good cleaning of the connector and examination of the wires coming off of it will fix it permanently.

I wonder how many of our problems would not be there if every one of our cars had the wiring harness recall done (mine never did, and I am always finding new insulation cracks and exposed wires). Just a little exta resistance and the occasional short resulting from these stupid lame harnesses has to be a contributor to persistent CELs which result from a sensor being out of range.

'95 Contour GL 2.0l automatic, 110k miles