Ok, some more info that hopefully can help someone help me fix the problem.

Timing never drops below 38 degrees from idle to 3500 RPM. Nuetral, in gear, it doesnt matter.

Hot idle- timing should be 15-25 degrees, at 30, 19-30 degrees. WAY higher than it should be. That would also explain the pinging Im geting when pulling steep hills ever since I bought the car.

MAF voltage- .3 at idle measured, never passes 1.0 at any speed.

Hot idle should be .6 to .9

MAF voltage is way off. Need a new one perhaps? Cleaned the MAF several times, also cleaned MAF connectors with no change.

Hooked a vacuum gauge to the unused port under the throttle body. Vacuum at idle and at speed is within tolerance, but the slightest opening of the throttle at any speed drops the needle 0 and stays there. The needle also flutters quickly between 0 and 15 when the engine reaches 3500 in gear. With most of my knowledge based on older V8 engines, I know there should be SOME vacuum at any speed with the throttle open.

Everything else my scanner shows is good. Still no CEL. Also replaced the upper o2 sensor since unplugging it showed no change in the way the car ran, so I hoped it had something to do with it.

On the plus side, gas mileage is outstanding since this problem started

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods