Originally posted by amarv12:
Originally posted by andy:

The screw head seems to have a flange around it preventing the vice grip from grabbing on. I'm leaning towards cutting a hole in the wheel well to get unobstructed access to the screw.

Have you tried a hex head (allen key) rather than torx, it might grip.

Have not tried allen. I'll try it tomorrow.

Originally posted by amarv12:
Originally posted by andy:

Here's another question: I've been to 4 different brand parts stores (Murrays, Autozone, Napa, Carquest), and none of them have the idler pulley of the same size as original even though all their computers show the correct pulley. 1 could be a fluke, 2 could be coincidence, but all 4?? WTH? 1 was large enough where it physically contacted the tensioner. Others are slightly larger but I'm afraid the belt isn't long enough to fit. I guess it's off to the dealer on Monday...

Are you asking them for an idler pully or a tensioner pulley...try asking for both and see if one fits

I have asked them to check different years, idler and tensioner, other model cars. There's nothing that's the right size. I've only read 1 other CEG'er saying something about bigger size, but I can't believe we're the only 2 having this problem!

Andy 96 Contour V6 101000 miles