Originally posted by taw3335:
No, I haven't removed the ignition switch, but have checked the other items you mentioned. I see no reason remove the ignitin switch yet because if someone can tell me what electrical items the relay controls and what electrical items the ignition switch controls, I should know which one to replace.

The igintion switch takes all of 15 seconds to remove. Do yourself a favor. Swap out the igintion relay with a like relay in the car. If you turn the key and get power to all the items that you weren't getting power to before, then you've diagnosed the relay as the problem. If you still have the same problem then pull the igintion switch plug which is located under the dash at the back of the key cylinder on the steering column. Test to make sure that you are getting power to the plug first and if you are jump power to the ignition lead. If no power at the supply then your problem is elsewhere if you have power, but still nothing after jumping it to the igintion, then I would take apart your under hood fuse box and check the condition of the wires.

Don't fall in to the same mistake that a lot of newbies do on these message boards by looking for someone to give you the magic answer that is going to fix your car with out doing any trouble shooting on your own. That can't happen. You need to have some automotive knowledge. Especially in electrical troublshooting for a situation like yours. It also helps to have an electrical diagram (a simple Haynes manual will do). Most of all, common sense. You need to get in there with a test light and start testing wires.

Most on this site are pretty good at giving good troubleshooting sugestions. These cars have lots of electrical problems and most aren't as simple as replacing a relay or switch. Most CEG members have gone through it at one time or another. If you start dismissing suggestions you'll quickly fall off the radar.

Parting out 95-97 Contours/Mystiques. Contact me directly at ALFIGOLS@yahoo.com if you're looking for a particular part.