I have a system in my car right now, but I noticed today that it sounds unbalanced. What I mean by unbalanced is that there are a lot of highs in the front and a lot of bass in the back (trunk). My system consists of:

Head unit: Eclipse 5441 (high voltage pre-outs)
Front doors: MB Quart reference series 5x7's(I think that�s the base series)
Rear Doors: Eclipse 5x7's (white cone)
Door amp: Orion CS200.4 amp bridged right/left to run the front door speakers
Subwoofer: DEI Studio 12 inch (dual voice coil)
Subwoofer amp: Directed 250d

I know that my subwoofer and amp situation is getting a bit old, although it still has enough sound for me right now. In the future is probably a newer subwoofer and maybe a newer sub amp. But the problem is the front doors...

When I ran all the wires for the system and hooked everything up I 'tuned' the system. I tuned it like the following (let me know if this is wrong)... I started off with the door panels off, the seats out and my subwoofer off totally:

1. I turned the system up to about the max sound level that I would want to listen to it at.
2. I put on a song with heavy base.
3. I then adjusted the high-pass filter and gain on my Orion amp until the door speakers stopped bottoming out.
4. I then hooked up the subwoofer, put my subwoofer level at about 3/4 then turned down the gain until the sub stopped bottoming out.
5. I then set the top of the low pass filter on the sub to the bottom range of the high pass filter for the front doors.

That was about a year ago that this was all done and I used to think it sounded good, until I rode in my friends 95 maxima with the Bose system. He had bass, but it was coming from the front doors as well! Granted it wasn't the really clean bass that I get from my subs, but it really made the system sound balanced...

I remember dnewman sent me a link awhile ago to what I would need to build my own components, but I have long since lost that link. I think there were 7 inch rounds at that point. I also remember seeing a thread about steeda putting 8 inch rounds in his doors (or where the kick panels?). My goal here is to get more bass out of the front doors without investing in kick panels... I just don't like them. Although I could possibly be convinced otherwise if I see some pictures of them that look really good.

So the real question is this: Based on the parts that I have right now, what would be the best way of getting a more 'balanced' system? I am open to the idea of getting larger (or different) door speakers, but I don't know what to get. Would stepping up to 6x9's (I�ve seen a few threads about that) or possibly going to the 7 inch rounds be worth the hassle to get more bass? Help!