So as you guys know i finished up a timing belt job a while back on my moms ford contour 2.0L I4.

I checked up on the belt and parts today after the oil change and i noticed the belt is getting a little scorched along the edge facing away from the engine (the exterior side).

Its nothing major but it seems like the belt is running off center on the sprockets.

If anyone knows why its running that way please let me know. I would like to have it run down the center or away from the exterior to prevent any damage to the belt edges. The tension seems to be fairly low but the car isnt showing any signs, so its not missing time. I just want to avoid what happened previously when the idler seized up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you. CIprian

This is the procedure I used from a web site on ford motors specific to my I4.

REVISED TIMING BELT & TENSION SETUP ON 2.0L

To achieve proper timing belt tension on this engine, Ford says the camshaft sprocket bolts should be loosened enough to permit the sprockets to turn freely on the camshafts. Once this has been done, rotate the crankshaft clockwise so cylinder No. 1 is at top dead center. Then, install the camshaft alignment tool in the camshaft slots to hold the cams in place.

Back out the tensioner bolt four full turns and position the tensioner so the locating tab is at approximately the 4 o'clock position. Line up the hex key slot in the tensioner-adjusting washer with the pointer that is located behind the pulley.

Working counterclockwise from the crank sprocket, install the timing belt.

Rotate the tensioner locating tab counterclockwise and insert the locating tab into the slot in the rear timing cover.

Position the hex key slot in the tensioner-adjusting washer to the 4 o'clock position.p>

Tighten the attaching bolt enough to seat the tensioner firmly against the rear timing cover, but still allow the tensioner adjusting washer to be rotated using a 6 mm hex key.

Using the hex key, rotate the adjusting washer counterclockwise until the notch in the pointer is centered over the index line on the locating tab. (The pointer will move in a clockwise direction during adjustment).

While holding the adjusting washer in position, torque the attaching bolt to 18 lb-ft (25 N.m).

Note: If the pointer does not remain centered over the index line during final tightening, loosen the bolt and repeat the procedure beginning with step 4.