I currently own a 96 GL Zetec MTX with well over 100,000 miles. After I graduate I am planning on selling the GL and getting a 96 V6 SE MTX instead, and then let the modding begin (prob the standard 3L swap and possibly turbo depending on the kind of job I land ).

My concern is the wiring harness issue. I've been doing some searching but I couldn't find if there is a way to tell if the wiring harnesses have already been replaced on a car, like with the VIN or something. Is this something that Ford has access to? I read something about the Ford Oasis system. If I call Ford with a VIN can they tell me?

I would like to know for two reasons:
1) To see if my current car has had the fix done (suspect it has not)
2) To make sure that when I go to buy my 96 SE, it has already had all the wiring harnesses replaced.

From what I have read on here, it sounds like buying a pre-98 Contour without the upgraded harnesses is asking for much personal hell. It already makes my stomach a little queasy thinking about putting a lot of money into a car that blue books at rock bottom, but it's that same aspect that attracts me to the platform. I should be able to build one hell of a performance sedan, with good timeless looks for pennies compared to shelling out for a Mazda Speed 6 or something similar. Plus, I love driving my current Zetec so much, I can't imagine what a real powerplant feels like in this car.

Thanks for any info!

96 Contour GL 2.0L MTX with Early SE 7 spoke wheels, SE sideskirts, Koni Sport Kit 70 Mustang Sportsroof with mild 351W and '01 Mustang GT wheels