I have been having erratic shifting in my Mystique's Automatic Transmission CD4E lately. The most common symptom is driving along @ highway speed cruising in Overdrive. Then the tranny will shift into drive for a few seconds and then shift back into overdrive.It may do this 3 to7 times and then normal cruising @ 60mph while the engine is @ 2100 rpm I sometimes notice incorrect shifting when in the lower gears. I can feel the downshift and also notice the RPM gauge jump up.

I have been reading past posts on the MLPS causing unusual shifting problems. Has others w/ the CD4E trannys have these similar symptoms ? If so, was the MLPS the culprit. It is straightforward to change. I have changed the ATF at least once a year. I can't believe it would an expensive rebuild solution.

Any CEG'ers who had to replace this sensor, what kind of problems did you experience?

1995 Mercury Mystique LS OBD1 2.5 L Duratec ATX- No modifications 70,000 Miles w/ O.E. Water Pump or Replaced: VSS, Lower speedo-cable(2X) Use: Mobil 1 5w30 and Techron Fuel Treatment.;) and Mobil 1 ATF Change every 10,000 miles