Oddly enough that after I disconnected the negative from the battery for 5 minutes and reconnected it, a bunch of strange behaviors disappeared. The speedo has not jumped once for the last 250 miles I travelled. Before I reset the battery, the speedo needle was dancing like the VU meter on a highend audio amplifier. Now it is just steady.

I am still buying a VSS from TeamFord just for the peace of mind. It seems to me that the ECU has something to do with the speedo (or just a coincidence?) so resetting it fixed the problem.

Originally posted by Tony2005:
Originally posted by SVT3391:
... I am not sure and will have to give it some time to see if this is indeed the case. So I will hold off my purchase of a new VSS just for now.

If the plastic (old ones has plastic) breaks and ends up in the tranny, you are looking at $3,000 or so. For a $40 VSS, this is not a risk worth taking.

98 Silver Frost E0 SVT. 1011/6535. DOB 05/16/97 Owned since new. Optimized y-pipe. Bosal Exhaust w/ silencer inserts. K&N intake w/ MAF. Ford Racing 9mm wires. 05 Saab 9-2X Aero Satin Grey. Cobbs Accessport Stage 2.