Originally posted by phd2be:
In my younger, unimformed days, I actually used Dawn soap to wash my car prior to waxing it. I used a few drops of Dawn soap in 1 gallon of water. One day I noticed that the black trim along the windshield was looking very dull.

You know for a fact it was from the Dawn? IF you were using a sealant on the trim after each time, there would be no problems.

After some research online, I discovered that it was most likely due to my wax stripping technique.

You said it yourself "most likely", but you don't know for sure. "Research online" means absolutely nothing without proof. I've searched and read plenty regarding it and found no proof that it does harm. Only "Don't use it, it's bad" types of advice.

After an application of Meguiars #39 to remove the worn out oxidized plastic (OMG was my rag black!), my trim is looking top notch again.

90%+ of people don't want to spend extra money on products, let alone products that they will rarely use. Dawn works just as well and everyone has dish soap in their house.

But, if washing cars w/ Dawn works for you, that's good.

For me and many others. Has for years.

If you recommend it to people, please make sure to define what "diluted" means (x oz/gallon) as that can make the difference between stripping the wax and stripping the nutrients from the plastic and rubber.

Do you have any proof that it indeed strips the nutrients from the plastic and rubber? If you recommend not using it, I offer the same challenge I have offered others who do not recommend it - let's see proof, not speculation or sites simply stating not to use it.

Most of the same sites that say it's not good to use dish soap don't even know that applying a sealant works better than using a rubber specific protectant.

If your rubber and plastic are in good shape:
Dawn is fine to remove any old wax. Then apply a sealant to nourish the rubber/plastic and protect it.

If your rubber/plastic is in bad shape:
Dawn will remove any old wax and clean the black residue off. Then apply a sealant to nourish the rubber/plastic and protect it.

The keys are:
- proper dilution (as you stated, couple drops of dish soap per gallon)
- frequency of use -> only when completely stripping wax off car to start new
- properly sealing afterwards

I respect your opinion, but I base my opinions on real-world experience over the past 10+ years and many, many cars I have detailed. I have even spoken to a andful of reputable wax company reps regarding using dish soap and they agree with my opinion. Most "problems arise when the "keys" I have noted above are not followed.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq