I went out and bought a set of Pioneer 6x9s (even advertised as shallow-basket) today; I was going to get the 6x8s that WalMart carries, but since the only set of those they had was in an open box, I decided to go up to the 6x9s and research the forum before I even broke the seal on the box. I read, and read, and read, and figured it wouldn't be too bad.

You have to be joking. There's no way 6x9s can fit in those door openings. I measured, I eyeballed, I even drilled a hole or two, and I couldn't come up with any orientation or positioning that even looked reasonably close to right. I also tried on the rear door, and while it was closer, it sure seemed kludgy to me. Incidentally, I also found out that the wiring to my rear left door wasn't passing any signal through anyway, so I just pulled both rear speakers and faded my HU all the way forward. I'm still going to replace my fronts, but right now I've got a set of 6x9s that I need to try to return to WallyWorld, chopped-up box and everything.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.