First time working on an upgraded later model transaxle and having a horrible time with the cable ends req'd with the Focus shift tower.

Can anyone with prior experience advise me on how to set the darn thing up correctly? I installed the cable ends and pushed them to their shortest position. Then put the shifter in the approx. neutral positon, pushed in the orange release clips, put the trans in neutral via the shift tower and pushed the release clips. Everything seemed OK until trying to operate the shifter whence the orange clip popped right out and released the cable completely. Did this many more times and quit in utter disgust/complete frustration.

The chintzy cable ends were used and I'm beginning to wonder if I should get a set of new ones. They're not very robust.

Gimme' a rod shifter anyday! May be a bit stiffer, but setup is a breeze.

Thanks for the help.

Redcoat Raceworks. Performance parts and custom fabricating for Contours, Mystiques and Cougars. Specializing in chassis and suspension parts. Custom end links, control arms, strut tower bars, engine torque braces, etc.