Another possible MTX fluid. Chrysler spec ATF+4 is finally available without the Mopar label. Read that "now available from other places than the dealership".

You may remember that I started suggesting ATF+3 several years ago. It is still an auto trans fluid, but it has a higher level of friction modifier to start with than Mercon so no additional friction modifier is needed for smooth shifting on our MTX-75. I did some research with my oil supplier (at the time, a Castrol distributor) and he inquired of Castrol. The response was to the effect of try it and see, it should be fine, Chrysler uses it on many of their manual transmissions.

I tried it and used it for years with excellent results. Eventually I tried Ford Honey with added friction modifier. The Ford Honey with added friction modifier works marginally better.

ATF+4 replaces ATF+3 in Chrysler applications. What has never been clear is if it was a synthetic blend or if it was full synthetic. As you can see from the picture on this link the Valvoline version (and maybe others) is full synthetic. I'll be trying it on my next trans fluid change.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=002789

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited