A few nits to pick here but overall a good job.

Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
GS allows struts, front swaybar, brake pads, cat-back, DOT-legal race tires, and that's about it. This leaves you with a car with a lot of understeer. However, it's still fun, and will teach you a lot about driving to run there.

Also Drop in Air filter (not a cone type of filter)

Also the I4 contour is in HS not GS but it has the same mods alowed.

STS allows springs, swaybars, wheels, chip, intake, A/C removal, battery relocation, and a few other things, but makes you run on "Street Tires", which has a treadwear rating of 140 or greater. The fastest tires are the Falken Azenis, Hankook Z212, Kuhmo MX, Yoko Advan Neova, and BFG KDW.

I don't know how chips are on the contour but the chip must fit in the factory housing.

DSP allows the STS mods, as well as LSD, DOT-legal slicks, and an accusump. If I was to build a Contour for track days and autocross, this would be the place to be.

As well as full engine management or changing of steering wheels or complete removal of the cat (or hollowing out of it)

SM allows anything, pretty much. You can gut it, run a turbo, 3.0L, make is a dual-wishbone suspension, whatever. But so can the competition

A common misconseption but still one. While you can remove the back seat and the stereo stuff all the other stuff must stay so that is not what I would call gutting it.

The suspension mounting points have to stay the same as stock so I am not sure you would be able to convert it to double wishbone.

A strange thing is that putting on a CF hood would toss you right into SM but the CF trunk lid is not legal for SM and would toss you into some sort of prepared or mod class.

Also about the 3.0L swap. to be technically legal it would need to come from a ford (escape/taurus) not a mazda (tribute) if the engines are at all different(even if it is just different part numbers) because of the way the rule reads because mazda and ford are related only at a corporate level. Since it is the same block I doubt anybody would have issues with it just make sure you don't have a big powered by mazda sticker under the hood of the car.

Originally posted by SCCA Rule book:
16.1.d.1. Engine block must be a production unit manufactured and badged the same as the original standard or optional engine for that model. Badges that exist as marketing aliases for the manufacturer will be recognized as equivalents. Swaps involving makes related only at a corporate level are not recognized as equivalents.

So, go to SCCA.org, find your region, and look for an event! Post up in your regional forum to see if anyone around you want to go too. Read the guide I posted the link too, and have fun!

A few more links
2006 SCCA Solo2 rulebook
2006 ProSolo Rules
SCCA Region Finder
SCCA National Tour Listing
SCCA National ProSolo Tour Listing
Frappr! Map of 2006 National Tour locations
Frappr! Map of 2006 ProSolo National Tour Locations

Last edited by Auto-X Fil; 02/28/06 01:27 AM.

Beaten - 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege 29K <- broken hearted Daily/Weekend Beater - 1990 miata 138K - AutoX every weekend = Adult driven on weekends