For those who don't know, I've been building my daily-driver 1995 LX to be a semi-competitive STS-class SCCA Solo II autocross car, and I thought I'd share some info on my build.

(2/06)Others have chimed in with lots of good info, so this is becoming a great resource for information on how to make a Contour handle well, and on handling/Solo II car prep in general.

To start with, here are the reasons I chose STS, and the limitations of the car:

ST* classes allow you to be competitive without changing tires at the event. STS allows enough mods to fix the basic problems with the car: stiffer springs/struts/bars, camber plates, and some weight reduction make a big difference. STX and DSP require an LSD, headers, and bigger tires to hang in there, so while they are fun, this is a bit easier on the wallet.

I'm pretty sure I could get a car down to 2600 lbs or so, and 165-170 fwhp, given time and money. But the car will still be limited:

still a little too front-heavy.
Not enough camber at low ride height
long wheelbase
only 225 width tires
no LSD to put down big power

So while it's certainly not competitive in the "Spec Civic Si" class, it's a car that's fun on the street and the course, and I like it!

Last edited by Auto-X Fil; 02/28/06 01:43 AM.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results