It's a 98 mystique GS 2.0 w/ 130k ticks. Just wanted something to last me a few years as I got through school.

Test drove it for about 5 minutes, didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. There were a few cosmetic / nuisance problems that I was prepared to fix, but there was no rust and it was in pretty good shape otherwise.

On my way home the CEL comes on. (Are you kidding me!?!? Hey, wait, I still see the person who sold it to me in the parking lot! Hey! Wait, I'm coming back!) Then a few minutes later, it stalls as I start to accelerate from a stop light.

Today, I noticed it wanted to stall twice more, both times as I had deaccelerated from 50 to about 10... when I pushed the gas again it just hung for a bit at 2k rpms and slowly creeped up... once it got to 2.5-3k rpms everything was normal.

CEL light goes off for no apparent reason, but the problems still persist.

It also straight out stalled twice more, both times where when I was accelerating fast and had to come to a somewhat abrupt stop and make a turn at 3-5mph. Just flat out died both those times.

So, after reading the forums for about 5 hours, I've compiled a list and I would like comments / additions / subtractions. I am for the most part clueless about fixing cars -- however, a friend works at a Mercury dealership. He's done mostly body/paint, but has been at it for 20+ years and has picked up a good amount of knowledge along the way regarding mechanics.

So I plan to take this info to him, and after a quick run through, we will take it to the mechanic at the Mercury dealership. My friend's role will be more so in diagnosis (doesn't have any free time really) - whatever work needs to be done will ultimately be completed by the dealership he paints at (at a discount we expect.)

So, please give me your thoughts on the following notes / problems I have compiled. Some of these are probably related, but I really don't know what has to do with what. Some may also not be related to my car at all -- I was neck deep in open threads and may have copied info that only applies to other models or engines:

Symptom: â??missesâ? during light acceleration @ ~ 1-2k RPMs, no problem wide open throttle / stalls during deacceleration and/or at idle:

(if anyone would like to put these in the order they should be checked i would appreciate it!)

-needs 2xplatinum plugs, must be factory (motorcraft?)
-plug wires should be checked
-o2 sensors could be bad
-fuel pressure should be checked
-check MAF, may need cleaning
-fuel injectors may be clogged
-fuel pump &/or filter could be bad
-IAC may need cleaning.
-vaccum / intake could have leak
-check relays for ignigtion / fuel injection (volts match)
-timing belt / idler pulley should be checked â??? if waterâ??s the problem, will need steel idler pulley. revised FEAD belt, new splash shield kit
-VCT valve could be bad due to dirty oil, get filter w/ flow back gasket.
-could be Differential Pressure Feedback Exhaust Sensor
-check CATs

Symptom: no horn:

-fuses
-check horn & horn terminal connectors
-check voltage between horn wire and ground while pressing horn

Symptom: no dome light while driver's door is open. (dome light works normal with other 3 doors.)

-check rubber switches / spring by door (a&b pillar), use wd40, push in/out.
-central timing module
[side note: no chime for â??lights onâ? when lights are on with door open / key out. car probably thinks door is closed at all times? seems logical.]

Battery light in dash goes on/off for seemingly no reason (on 10 or so minutes of operation, off 10 or so, repeat):

-no clue!

Symptom: Gear shift "orange marker" stuck on first gear, doesn't illuminate:

-needs new kit? wasn't there a recall on this?

Symptom: Pulls left slightly:

-probably just needs an alignment.

So there ya go, this is everything (that I know of) that's wrong with the car I bought 24 hours ago. Go me!

Luckily I put some money aside for a few fixes, I hope I am not in over my head though.

Thanks in advance for your advice / comments.

'98 Silver Mystake 2.0 133k miles.