? ? This evening, after a long evening of driving all over town, we stopped for the last time before going home at a small convenience store a few blocks from home.?  No sign that anything was amiss up to this point.?  I try to start the engine, and it doesn't fire.?  It turns over just fine, but doesn't start.?  I walked home to get my OBD-II system and a few other tools, and walked back.

? ? The OBD-II system can't establish a connection.

? ? When I turn the key to the ON position, I do not hear the usual fuel pump sound from the back.

? ? On checking fuses, I find that the #4 fuse (â??â?¢? Daytime Running Lights (Canada)â?; â??â?¢? Ignitionâ?) (This is not a Canadian car, and does not have DRLs) is blown.?  I replace it, and try again to start the motor.?  Still no start.?  I check, and find that the new #4 fuse has also blown.?  I put a 30-amp fuse in (instead of the proper 20-amp) and then turn the key to ON but do not hit the starter. I immediately turn the key off again, and go out and check the fuse.?  Sure enough, it's blown again.

? ? So, apparently I have a short circuit somewhere in the system.?  I don't need to try to start the engine in order to blow the relevant fuse; I just need to turn the key ON.

? ? Any ideas where to look?

? ? Oh, one other thing? â??? I've noticed now that when I turn the key to ON, the CEL does not light up.?  Shouldn't it light up whenever the key is ON and the engine not actually running??  Would a failure in the same circuit (Ignition?) that uses fuse #4 prevent the CEL from lighting and also prevent an OBD-II system from connecting??  Would this same circuit keep the fuel pump from running?

? ? I've checked most of the other fuses in the underhood box, and found none others blown.

? ? BTW, how do you get fuses 1, 2, and 3 out??  The manual says, â??Have these fuses replaced by a qualified technicianâ?, and they appear to be locked in in some manner so that simply pulling on them won't get them out.

Hyster E60XM-33 1996 Mercury Mystique GS, Zetec, ATX To email me, remove the string HatesSpam from this address:BobHatesSpam@Blaylock.to