Yeah, I'd say you'd be just as happy with a built N/A 3L as you would with a 2.5 turbo on your stock motor. Reason is you know you can't crank the boost without popping something on the early model pistons and a well done 3L has far less cost and almost as much power as the low budget stock 2.5L turbo. The torque is better matched for the basic drivetrain than a turbo because any turbo duratec will probably melt the tires in 1st and 2nd if you let it.
More fun...the turbo. More reliable and maybe just as much fun... 3L and much cheaper.
3L then add a moderate nitrous kit later and you'll beat almost any 2.5L turbo.
Now nitrous is no joke, but if you want power and cost is the name of the game then it is the way to go.
It is going to run you inside of $2000 to do a nice 3L with bolt ons, dual exhaust and intake(doing it yourself). Then another $1500-$2000 should see you a nicely tuned basic nitrous setup that when on the bottle will see you to 300-350 at the wheels if you want.
Of course if you become addicted to speeding off from every stop light like I am, the turbo ends up becoming more practical later on.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black