Rick was right on the money.

My statement was made because I think you are totally nuts for
1) Buying an older motor that needed a full rebuild
2) Paying to much for that motor in the first place

Like I said and keep saying to all the other guys out there considering 3L's (most notably that giddyup guy that rebuilding a 96 Duratech! ); WHY buy an old-ass motor that needs honing, machining all new bearing etc, when you can simply buy an +02 Taurus motor with 10,000 miles for $500 and then just swap out the rod bearings and call it a day?

You don't need to hone anything, not new valves seals this, that and the other - it's a waste of money if you aren't building a motor to pump out 400hp all day long - and even still Tom has shown that a basically stock 3L motor with just rod bearings is capable of 400hp without a problem. That's what I'm getting at Trev. When you said you were buying a tired old Escape motor for $600 I told you not to do it, Hell I would've helped you get a low mileage Taurus motor shipped to your place, from LKQ here in MI for less than that, that wouldn't require a total teardown like you're doing now.

Rick charges what he charges to cover the cost of the motor/parts AND he has his labor in the thing - which is totaly justifiable.

I too charge people for 3L's - but it's just my labor. The motor and parts and mods they want done to it is on their dime...I purely offer the "wrenching" and experience for those that aren't confident to do it themselves.

Hence my initial statement that paying $900-odd dollars to rebuild an older engine was insane - when you could've spent $100-200 to put in new bearing, gasket oil pan into a younger, fresher engine and called it a day.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!