<==== (* Saving pix & taking notes *)

Learning some useful stuff guys, thanks for keeping it in an open thread & documenting so well!

I would also suspect from the engine condition that the previous owner skipped a few oil changes...

Originally posted by Stazi:
That fuse-thingy looks like a switch of some sort that you can swing open or closed - weird ish - I've NEVER seen one. My bet; another hack they used, probably cos they were blowing that fuse over and over.

Honing looks excellent stil so no need for any cylinder work. New rings would be OK - but not 100% necessary. But seeing that crud it might be the way to go as the rings are probably gummed to hell and back (why I would never buy a motor with that many miles - to much prep work required).

Like I said - my thought is that they used 87 octane all the time and never revved out the engine - hence tons of carbon build-up.

To remove the fibre (which look like a smashed twig to me), I would reinstall the cam (PROPERLY) on that side and rotate it till it cracked open the valve - otherwise, if you have the right valve spring tool you could use that.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.