After my last post, my suspense was getting the worst of me, so I decided to go ahead and pull the valve covers & spark plugs to get a better sense of the engine condition. All the plugs looks great except the one from the "white" exhaust valve. It didn't look bad, just slightly white in color. All the others where a very light tan. I suspect that this cylinder was running a little hotter for some reason ... full teardown might shed some more light. However, I think that I have answered my own question about the red/dark pink valve stems ... based on their corresponding spark plugs, that would appear to be completely normal.

Oh yeah, a slight tapping with a ballpeen hammer straightened out those oil pan studs. I figured that whatever force bent them was far more distructive than a few slight raps with a ballpeen. Whatever bent them also chewed up the threads pretty good, so out with the dremel (no sawzall yet) I go on Sunday. I will keep eveyone updated ... as if you care about my ramblings. I swear, sometimes I type out these posts only to help myself think things through