OK, took some more pictures to show how the wastegate was setup. However first I must share a link I found when searching for bolt extraction techniques ... it covers just about every conceivable option for pulling a broken bolt/stud from a threaded hole:

http://yarchive.net/car/broken_bolt_remove.html

On with the pictures:

Turbo�s down pipe & wastegate area overview.

Turbo's Turbine flange area. Note the small diameter of the opening. This setup would benefit greatly from a traditional wastegate placement and just have this port blocked off by the down-pipe flange. Note the snapped off bolt head in the bottom right and the threads that snapped off in the top center.

Close up of the snapped of threads ... like I said before, about 2 threads deep

Contrary to suggestions of the welding wire possibly breaking off (very possible), there are no signs that this has happened. The turbine wheel is free of defects and spins freely with no wobble or end-play. All the vanes are in great shape.

Close-up of turbine bypass port.

Turbine's bypass port tube to wastegate flange. Note the rust path to the left, evidence of a massive exhaust leak ... I guess a sprite can doesn't make a good gasket.

Down-pipe flange showing bypass port tube to wastegate flange.

Wastegate & flange "base plate" ... note the raised seat that the piston sits against, thus the "gap" around the piston. Anyone have any idea what wastegate this is? There are no markings on the wastegate.

Conclusions: TONS of room for improvements with proper wastegate placement in relation to up-pipe/down-pipe. The turbo is definitely is good shape IF the internal seals are good. Oil in the intake tract has me concerned. As some may remember in my previous posts on this subject, the air filter was soaking in oil that had come down the intake setup. I cleaned the filter and re-oiled it and it isn�t soaking so I suspect it�s oil being drawn in from the valve cover breathers/PCV valve tube.

Last edited by fastcougar; 12/01/05 05:10 AM.