Well, this is my first post after reading this forum for about a year. I NEED HELP! I hope someone knows what is going on because I sure don't.

Had a massive overheat on the highway. Changed the water pump out, which was the main problem. Water pump impeller had broken loose and was free spinning. Did not appear to be any missing plastic. Started up the car after the pump change and noticed two things. First was the fans were not coming on. Car would warm up slowly to the M in NORMAL and still no fans. Second was after about 10 minutes of idling, the car would die and would not restart unless I let it sit for about a half hour.

More looking, squeezed the top radiator hose and didnt feel and rush or surge like all the manuals say I should. Decided to change out the thermostat, probably didnt need it but its cheap and easy. After the thermostat change, and a good flush, car runs a little cooler but still no rush in top hose (although it is hot and heater blows hot) and car still dies after ten minutes or so of idling. Still no fans either.

I know the fast fan speed was working when the car overheated because when I popped the hood they were running.
Not sure about low speed. Of course, more concerned about the car dieing after ten minutes.

This is a '97 contour V6 automatic.

Anyone have any ideas!?!?!?! Please?!?!?! I'm a poor white boy with three kids and really dont want to pay 60 an hour to have someone work on it.

Thanks a ton!