On my way to school today with my bro (he was driving) doing 70 or so the car was driving fine when he said that the engine light started to flash, the car lost power steering, brakes started going out, car lost all power and began to stop quickly (much quicker than if he had used the brakes, no screaching of the brakes either). Crazy big flames started coming out from the front tires area and huge flames covering the entire rear, so much smoke that we couldnt really see ahead or behind us. The flames died out after 7 or so seconds and during the entire time (i guess) oil was leaking out onto the ground and right front tire beacuse there were oily tire marks for around 30 feet. We got out of the car right after we managed to get it to the side of the highway (cabin was full of smoke) and let the car chill for a little bit before opening the hood to air it out and look for problems, but found none except that oil was leaking from the bottom of the engine who knows where.

I have a friend that works at a ford dealership coming by to check it out and then off to a mechanic for estimates.

Any ideas about what caused it or why there were huge flames going higher than the trunk (my bro could see them in the rear view mirror)? BTW, the rear bumper is completely messed up from the flames (looks like it started cracking and melting in some places) and part of the trunk is also fire damaged.

If it costs too much to get the car fixed, ill probably start parting it out or selling it as a whole.

thanks

-ivan