I just wanted to resurrect this thread to show the differences between the mirrors:

Compass only (notice it says "COMP" and "MIRROR":

Compass/temp single line (except it will have a "TEMP" button instead of "MIRROR," exactly like below):

Compass/temp dual line:

And now I have seen a Donnely compass/temp mirror factory installed in my sister's 2001 Subaru Legacy Outback LL Bean. However, mirror didn't work. It would display some arbitrary compass heading and temp, but never changed (or dimmed with cars behind me)

My Gentex mirror works REALLY well when there's a truck behind me. I'm sure anyone with a lowered car knows that even a 1/2 ton 2WD truck still blinds the crap out of you. Now I just have to block the side mirrors with my hand!

Depending on the mirror, it will have either a 7 or 16-pin connector on the back. The 7 pin is flat with all 7 in line, the 16-pin has 2 rows of 8 each.

16-pin is found more on cars/trucks that had OnStar, Homelink, and other specific things, however, my plain Compass/Temp mirror that was ordered for a GMC Savannah had the 16 pin. Or maybe all the newer ones have the 16 pin, I dunno!

These mirrors (probly) have flash memory inside, so they only need a switched power source and will not lose settings or calibration.

==========================

16-pin diagram:

1 - unk
2** - Bare - Microphone
3** - Passenger Airbag ON indicator (ground pin to activate)
4** - Passenger Airbag OFF indicator (ground pin to activate)
5** - IEC-OEC+ Signal FROM LH outside mirror (if car has photocell mounted there)
6 - Brown - Air Temp Sensor
7 - Green/Black - Air Temp Sensor
8 - Black - Ground
9* - Light Green - Reverse Dim Inhibit or battery supply voltage for OnStar
10** - Gray - Microphone
11** - Dark Green/White - Keypad Signal out to OnStar computer
12** - Light Green - +5v Keypad Voltage in
13 - Yellow - 12v+ for whole mirror
14** - Yellow/Black - Green LED Signal
15** - Brown/White - Red LED signal
16** - OEC- return line to LH outside mirror

* Optional connection that will undim the mirror when the vehicle is in reverse. Hook this up so it gets +12V from the reverse light circuit.

** Only used on specific vehicles

So if you're just doing the Compass/Temp here, All you need to hook up are these pins:

6 - To temp sensor
7 - To temp sensor
8 - To chassis ground
13 - To switched power lead

9 - optional reverse inhibit

So if you get a mirror that has a ton of wires, remove the excess since you only need these!

7-pin diagram:

1 - Pink - POWER +12 volts

2 - Black - CHASSIS, GND

3* - LT GRN - BACKUP LIGHTS

4 - Gray - TO AUTO DIM OUTSIDE MIRROR

5 - PINK - TO AUTO DIM OUTSIDE MIRROR

6 - Dark GRN/WT - TEMP PROBE

7 - BK/WT - TEMP PROBE

* Optional connection that will undim the mirror when the vehicle is in reverse. Hook this up so it gets +12V from the reverse light circuit.

So you will need to hook up these wires:

1 - Switched power
2 - Chassis ground
6 - To temp sensor
7 - To temp sensor

3 - Optional reverse inhibit

Read thru this thread for more information: The12volt Forums

Oh, and BTW, here's the Ford part number for the Gentex compass/temp mirror: XF2Z-17700-AA Listed price is $300

Last edited by Big Daddy Kane; 08/09/06 12:55 AM.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V