Back in 1/04 I had my ABS system fry out on me. The ABS computer shorted out causing the fuse to blow knocking out my heater fan. This made for a very cold ride home.

I had it replaced under warranty by my local mechanic at a tune of $3,531. Replaced was: Fuse, ABS control module, Master cylinder, brake fluid, and power brake booster. His shop has since closed (It�s been redeveloped as a Walgreen.)

Anyhow, last winter (approx 1 year from repairs) the same problem occurred again.
I'd push the brake it would do the extra drop, I'd hear the groan from the ABS system, but the pedal would kick back up, lights would dim, and the ABS light would come on (The light stays on for about two driving cycles.) The last time this happened not only did the heater fan stop working but soon after my alt. stopped charging, this might just be a coincidence.

This is a completely repeatable problem, anytime the ABS system is used (wet or dry) this happens.

My problem is now the car is out of the warranty, and his shop is closed, I have no choice but to pay the 3000+ repair bill.

I was wondering if there is a way to get the ABS system on a diagnosis to tell me what exactly is wrong with the system so I could see if their is a way to fix it myself.

98 Contour GL 4 cyl 131,000 miles - 57,000 w/o a CEL! Get Firefox