I am in the middle of this upgrade with a few odd problems. I ordered a new shift cable because I accidently broke mine durring the swap. The new cable i got was slightly different in design but the ends fit my contour (old) shift tower.

Quote:

i looked up a cable for a 99 contour on a hunch, and found that it is replaced by a focus number,

Im pretty sure the part number of the cable i got was a focus # as well.

Quote:

it is the right length and has the newer style snap ends.

Mine seems to be the same length But my ends didn't fit the new shift tower, they were the thinner old style.

Quote:

you cannot replace your stock shifter cable without also upgrading the shift tower.

This is pretty much what I did. Everything worked fine except shifting into 3rd gear at high RPM would cause a very slight crunch. Since it the tranny was completly overhauled with new syncros and shift forks I'm sure its not something wrong with the internals. It just seems like its not going into gear all the way.

How did you get the shift tower clamps off of the cable?

Quote:

I used two vise grippers to hold the cables in place

was this done in the interior?

This is a great help and I'm kicking myself that I didn't see this while I doing my 3L.

98.5 Black contour // A.K.A. Frankenstein 3L Oval port swap W P&P // SVT UIM, LIM, & Cams Torsen LSD // Dual Friction // KKM // Poly Mounts // ?Mystery Mod? // Actually Running! 205 hp @ 6500RPM 180 tq @ 4250RPM