Might what to make a post in the Transaxle forum so you get a quicker response. That way people can see exactly what your problem is by the post's title and can respond accordingly. Just FYI.

Anyhow... The location of the connection points I believe should not move that much? The stock Contour cable should work just fine. Are you sure you have the new connector on correctly? It allows for a length adjustment to ensure proper shifting. When you attach the new connectors you need to ensure that the shifter and the shift tower are both in neutral. Lock the shifter in place (I used two vise grippers to hold the cables in place) and then adjust the cable end connectors to the appropriate position and snap them onto the shift tower making sure you do not move the shift tower out of the neutral position. I believe there is a how-to explaining this procedure somewhere in the transaxle forum. Do a search in the Transaxle Forum for shift tower install or shift cable and see what you come up with.

-Mike 98 Contour SVT Toreador Red #49 of 6535 Built on 3/25/97 WR Headers, Borla Cat-Back, Torsen T2 LSD, K&N Short Ram, S-AFC and Focus Shift Tower 85 Camaro 1969 358ci, 97 TA interior, 91 Z28 GrdEfx and Aero Wing 255rwhp