Im going to get a general opinion before I take my car to the mechanic. The shops around here have a habit of trying to rip women off when it comes to car repair.

I have 1996 Contour, 2.5L Duratec v6.

Problem is, about 20 minutes into driving, the coolant light comes on. The coolant is filled above max and i had the radiator flushed about a month ago. The guy who did it said there were no leaks and hoses were okay.

The engine doesnt "overheat" per se, meaning it doesnt redline. But let me add that I dont let it run enough to get to that point. Anyway, while it doesnt redline, the engine does run WAY hotter than usual, esp if I turn on the air conditioner.

Typically I can look at the temp gauge and no matter how long ive been driving, the needle never goes above the spot between N and O in normal.

But now, after 20 minutes or so, the coolant light rears its ugly head and the needle starts to climb its way, not quickly though, towards the A.

If I drive around with my heater on, which is blowing out hot air, then the coolant light stays off, and the engine temp remains where it typically does between the n and the o.

When the car is idling, I can hear the fans kick on.

Ive heard it could be anything from the waterpump to a thermostat. What do you guys think so Im not going into this blind...