Originally posted by The Chris:
Originally posted by wa2tuff:
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

The kit sounds like a good idea for most as it will help to prevent premature failure. An ounce of prevention...

This is exactly why a relocation kit is preferable to trying to desolder and resolder a transistor that you don't have. Preventive maintenance is preferable.

You people aren't understanding that the transistor that was originally put in the IMRC was faulty (tolerence issues). The newer TIP121 is a MUCH better replacement if you compare the two spec sheets. Yes, it can handle the underhood temps.

Additionally, relocating the IMRC just delays the heat issue. If your IMRC is failing now due to heat, relocating it might give you 15-30 minutes more of operation before it heats back up and stops working.

If you relocate it, you still have a faulty transistor.

Oh, and in case you are new here, ask around. I know a thing or two about the Contour and its electronics.

New... hehe.

I understand just fine. My IMRC is NOT faulty, so I will relocate it to prevent premature failure and/or prolong its life. GET IT??

You aren't suggesting people rip open their perfectly fine & functioning IMRC box just to replace this transistor, are you? The time to rip appart the IMRC to replace the thingy is AFTER the failure and BEFORE investing in a replacement IMRC. GET IT?

GOT IT?

GOOD!

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.