- first occurence of overheating
- after 30 min drive, coolant was boiling/steaming
- most of the coolant evaporated
- intermittent CEL, new code 117
- heating system works, air is very hot
- oil level @ max line, change is due
- existing issue: temperature guage doesn't work, stays all the way to the left
- existing issue: intermittent CEL, existing code 172
- existing issue (escalating): catalytic converter is vibrating when lightly engaging throttle
- existing issue: squeeking sound originating from back seat area of car that lasts for 5-10 seconds after ignition (intermittently)
- unsure if waterpump has been replaced

As I arrived home today after about a 30 minute drive (20m @ 120KM/hr freeway, 10m city), I noticed the smell of hot plastic and the fan was very loud.

I made it home before breaking down and found that the coolant in the reservoir was boiling. It had been above the min level as early as a few days ago, but when it finished boiling, there was almost none left. While it cooled down, I checked the CEL; new code 117 was found in addition to 172 which I've had for months.

I filled the reservoir with a universal Prestone coolant and took it for short test drive. Nothing out of the ordinary occurred, but I did notice that the fan was very loud, but that may have been because it's a hot day. No CEL's.

I have researched the issue here, but most other overheating issues involve a dysfunctional heating system or multiple EEC-IV codes that I'm not getting.

I am open to advice on how to proceed, and especially open to ideas on how I can tell if further damage has been caused.

Thanks.