As most of you may already know, I won a complete set of brand new Koni Struts for front and rear on ebay for a little over 400 bucks. However, they were sitting in a box with other shocks and although new, had some surface scratches and scuffs.

Since I knew that the shocks needed some modding that involves cutting and grinding to work with the Ground Control sleeves anyway, I got some medium grit sanding blocks, a Rustoleum canary yellow (Allot nicer than the Koni cheddar), a 10,000rpm Black & Decker hand grinder (Daddy Dremel ), and grabbed my hacksaw to to give my Konis a complete makeover to compliment the brand new GC coilovers!

The mod includes some necesarry and some aesthetic upgrading, but here is the list of what is done:

1.) Grind edge of strut cap to about 2mm radius. (Necessary)
2.) Cut and remove spring perch right above weld (Necessary)
3.) Sand down entire valve body (not the picton obviously) with medium grit foam sanding block. (Aesthetic and rust protection)
4.) Coat with Rustoleum Canary yellow paint (Aesthetic and rust protection)

Since I did the front two yesterday and will do the rear two today, I will use the rear ones as a "before pic". Here you go Ground Control and Koni users...

Before

After

Side By Side:

Tools of the trade:
Group Hug

Daddy Dremel

Gotta love that yellow!

Get's my arms worked out, but a nice clean cut for the perches!

Well, there you go. You may not care too much about your shock absorbers being pretty, but if you are having rust problems it never hurts to give em a little TLC, hell, they sure take care of YOUR ride!

I am doing the rear ones tonight and installing them Saturday morning. Alas! I will have ride quality back!!! Sigh...

XL