Originally posted by svt4stv:
Originally posted by parkedcar:
My 1990 jeep wrangler doesn't have a 3rd brake light and never did. Never had an issue with it at inspection.

my pop's 89 truck didnt either. i was really into mini-trucks back then and iirc trucks didnt get the brake light law until 92 or 93 (somewhere right around there.). i remeber cuz all my friends with Toyotas were pissed off that they started coming with them and everyone was shaving them. now at least, the manufacturer's integrate them better into the sheet metal instead of just slapping it on the cab.

yes, it is a federal law, just like airbags. i think that was in 92 or 93 also that manufacturers were required to put airbags in the steering wheels. you can get a nice fat ticket if you get caught having removed yours. ive known people to get this when they pulled their airbagged wheel to put in a Momo or Grant etc..

some cars have the 3rd brake light in the wing from the factory. that is how you can tell (on some cars anyways) that it was a factory installed wing and not a dealer job. some manufacturers dont do this though. sometimes you'll see a 3rd brake light AND a wing with a light, aftermarket! anyways, if you remove your wing with brake light in it, youre supposed to add a 3rd brake light. i know in CA, the only coppers likely to catch this are the highway patrol. they know the vehicle code much better than the local fuzz.

btw, the trunk looks meh. too much lip for my tastes.
my friend is having a custom cowl hood made for the 3rd gen sho at a cf shop out here. i dont think its this shop. if not, and they do a good job on his hood, i may talk to him about doing a group buy on a stock cf trunk for us. that way we'll have two options. it appears the pre98 is the most popular but i would do a poll, if and when it gets to that.

Note that all the dates are 9/1/YYYY (or Sep 1st, YYYY)

CHMSL: mandatory 9/1/1985 for cars; 9/1/1993 for light duty trucks (includes vans/suvs/trucks under 10000lb GVWR and 80" wide) IAW FMVSS 108.

Passive Restraints (either automatic seat belts or airbags): phase in 1986 passenger cars, 1994 light duty (8500lbs GVWR or less) trucks. Mandatory for 1989 cars, 1997 light duty trucks IAW FMVSS 208.

Airbags: phase in 9/1/1996 cars, 1997 light duty trucks. Mandatory 1997 cars, 1998 light duty trucks IAW FMVSS 208.

BTW (IIRC): dual airbags, first on 1974-1976 full size GM cars (like the Caddys). Explorer first SUV with standard CHMSL...

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V