In a further effort to clean up this place, this will be a real FAQ. I have a life (somewhat) so please post links to important info here, or PM Honkeytonk Monkey with the info or e-mail it to him at honkeytonkmonkey@yahoo.com. I will take it from him, modified to fit the Forum as a FAQ, and place it in here. Once again, it will save the forum from continuous questions about 5x7s and speaker wire.

This forum was and can still be a place full of intelligent audio conversation, I'm hoping once again it can be that way.

Again this is a sticky, so any wasted posts I'm taking out.

Thanks, The New Ma Four.

1.DOOR SPEAKERS

Q: What speakers will fit in my door?
A: Any size can fit if you have the time and money. As for what fits into the stock door locations with only minor drilling or trimming? Most 5x7s, 6x8s, and a few 6x9s will fit in the doors. Component speakers will fit as well with the addition of a plate to hold the mid.

Q:How do I remove my doors?
A: there are screws surrounding the door panel, remove these first. There are two rage screws behind the trim panel on the door grab handle. Remove the trim panel by sliding a narrow screwdriver behind the panel through the access hole on the bottom of the grab handle and pressing the panel outwards, it will pop out. There is another large screw behind a smal trim piece at the bottom of the panel's face. Finally remove the screw located behing the door handle itself, it's located behing anothre little pop in trim piece that will pop out with a small screwdriver.

I know its a little small, but those lines comming out of the door are the screws, hope it helps

- 2 on bottom
- 2 on outside edge
- 1 on inside edge
- 1 by speaker grill (under screw cover)
- 1 on inside of door handle assembly (under screw cover)
- 2 under the center portion of the door handle
- 1 in the sail panel

Yes, you should be able to use the factory wires, the only tricky thing might be drilling new holes to mount the speaker if it doesn't match up to factory locations.

Q:How do Components fit in my doors?
A:You have to make an adapter plate with a hole cut to house the mid. Use a piece of 1/2" MDF, or 3/4 if you require more clearance than that.

Q:What are some good brands to look at for 5x7s?
A:Any speaker in the same price range wil sound just fine. Favorites seem to be Pioneer and other similar big names. Any answer you get here will be biased so try looking at them yourself in an audio shop.

Q:Should I run new speaker wire?
A:Unless you are running aloot of power of feel the need, the stock wiring is adequate to run your speakers

2. HEAD UNIT

Q:How do I get my stock unit out?
A:Ford stereo removal tools are recommended, you can get them at wal-mart for almost niothing. You can try to make a tool out of coat hangers but there is achance you'll mess the clips up and the deck will become lodged in place. Using the tools, just insert them, then push them apart as you pull the HU out of the dash.

Q:What wires do what?
A: If you have to ask this question, you should buy a wiring harness. You can find them at any audio store and almost any online place.

Q:My HU has a factory amplifier, how do I hook it up?
A:Don't hook it up, it's a pile of crap. Buy a bypass harness fromm crutchfield or a local audio shop if they carry them. It is possible to splice the wiring yourself, but again, if you have to ask this question in the first place, it's a safe bet you shouldn't be playing with the wires under your dash

Q:How do I know if I have premium sound or a regular HU?
A:Look behind your glove box (open the glove box then pull on the sides to make it drop completely) If you see a small silver amplifier, you have to get a bypass harness.

3. AMPLIFIERS

Q:What do I need to hook up an amplifier?
A: You need power wire, ground wire, a fuse holder, fuse, end connections and a set of RCA cables. knukonceptz.com, run my a member here, sells high quality install kits for very good prices.

Q:Where do I run my ground wire to?
A:The ground wire should run to a point on the chassis as close to the amplifier as possible. The bolts holding down the seatbelt anchors are good lacations that do not require new holes to be drilled.

Q:What size power wire do I need?
A:The size wire needed varies depending on your amplifier's wattage.Generally a small amplifier used to run a single sub will use 8 guage, multiple amplifiers, or larger amplifiers running larger subs will use 4 guage, and finally rediculous amplifiers and beast subs will use 1/0 guage.

Q:Where do I put the amplifier?
A:You can mount it pretty much anywhere in your trunk. Many bolt them to the seatbacks, others build shelves that hang from the rear deck. Do not bolt your amplifier upside down under the rear deck however, as many amplifiers were not designed to be positioned this way and will cook.

-----------------------------------------------

I'll add more as more things are brought up

BYPASS HARNESS ANSWERS

Harnesses made by Metra. Scoshe also makes them but they are crap. So here are the metra part #'s
70-5513 amplifier bypass harness only

70-1770 Radio harness only. No amp harness included.

70-5514 premium sound radio harness WITH bypass harness

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg