Originally posted by Stryker:
i was thinking about that roz, and i have come to the conclusion that its because every rod knock i have ever heard has been on a car old (like 80's old). no sound insulation anywhere on most of those older cars, and that damned astro was no exception...

i still dont understand why you cant drive a contour with a rod knock though,i have driven cars with rod knock, and other than a slight performance decrease and a loud noise, it wasnt that bad.

oh and roz, if a mpotor has synthetic in it, wont that quiet the noise??

and damned if my dads old ramcharger didnt run forever with rod knock. i kept expecting it to go any day...last i saw it it was getting a new motor at 273,000 miles, after 100,000 miles of rod knock.

there has to be something about these newer motors (maybe the material they are made out of???) that keeps then from being at least driveable with rod knock.

Synthetic will not quite the noise....believe me, we tried that.....somehting people need to understand with these motors is that there not like the older motors which could take punishment.....Like demonSVT has said countless times, you need to do preventative maintanence!!!

Rule of thumb, if its knocking, its not normal!!!!

Boviously something is a miss if weriod sounds are comming out of the motor.

Also, when SVTKID04 had his knock, he drove it for a full week before the car died....obviously its not salvageable now because the motor froze....But i elxplained everything in my previous post....

Also, i don;t come from a generation which has had A LOT of experience with older motors.....I have Much more experience with todays motors, and i can tell you and type of sound that is not normal is a potential problem.

Take BMW/Mini for example (i work at a dealership) any time theres Rod knock on either of these cars, the motor gets pulled checked and a new one gets ordered under warrenty if the problem cannot be fixed simply.

Point is they fix it right away!

You cannot compare yesterdays motors with todays.....IMO its like comparing apples and oranges, you ahve diffrent materials (in some cases), diffrent casting process, OHC and DOHC comparied to push rods (which i know chevey still has) diffrent tolerences for each motor, and EACH maufacture has diffrent tolerences compared to others.

Rod knock is not normal, and should be checked right away.

Lupe

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles