Every rod knock i have ever heard has been noticeable even at idle. Its a steady *knocknocknocknocknocknock* one with each turn of that piston. If it only does it under load, Id look for another culprit. Timing being off can cause "spark knock" im not sure but i believe that is pre-ignition of the fuel. Waterpumps will make nose as well. I gather from previous posts you have a CSVT. A rod bearing is certainly possible but please, PLEASE explore all of your options first.

What is the year and how many miles do you have on the car?

Motor mounts will cause knocking if they are completely gone, in some cars i have heard of there even being a tapping felt in the clutch and gas pedals (these werent nessecarily contours mind you). Be patient. My car was my only mode of transport too, and its totalled, i know how you feel, but in times like these, GET ON A BIKE LOL.. I live 8.5 miles from work, and i ride a bike both ways everyday now. thats ~17 miles round trip...but it could be a lot worse.

I thank the Lord everyday that im alive after my wreck. you should too. I have no doubt in my mind, had i been in any other ~1995 model year car (in the same class as the tour) I wouldnt be typing this now. I will have another tour eventually. But due to finacial repsonsibilities, im forced to find another means...

As for your car, If you really dont know much about cars (it doesnt sound like you know absoulutely nothing. it does sound like you can change a tire, your own oil and brakes and even spark plugs.) i suggest you take it to a qualified mechanic, even if it has to be towed there, and diagnose it. Typical diagnosis fees run between $40 and $80. In order to figure out what the problem is, thast a small price to pay. And many mechaics will not charge the fee if you let them fix the problem. At least that way you will know.

sorry for the long post...just my .02. kevin.

BTW FWIW, i wasnt trying to sound like an ass, or make this a political discussion, I was just trying to make a point. sorry if i came off any other way.

Regards, Cole. Relegating to troll status sometime this week. New Whip: 1990 Lexus ES250. Old Hotness: 1995 GL MTX Zetec *IN TRIAGE* "I had a little friend once, but it dont move no more... "