Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
L
This is a pretty sweet easy mod to do. Basically what we do is wire up the fogs to the footwell light, so that when you do a remote unlock the fogs come on for a few seconds. Same thing when you open the doors.

Tools:
9/32" socket (7mm may work) deep well if available.
Electrical tape.
18 or 20 gauge hookup wire.
wirecutters, strippers, etc.
splice connectors (optional but helpful, particularly vampires)
2 diodes (at least 3A to be safe, at least 12V) Radioshack, $1.50 or so.

First, do this mod.
http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=7

The foglight relay requires the headlights to be on in order to turn on fogs. This fools it into thinking the headlights are always on. On my car, the fog relay was just taped on a bundle of wires, I just cut the tape and retaped later. Also, on my car there were only five bolts holding the trim panel on.

If your wire colors don't match mine, you will need to do some investigation with the volt meter. Might be a good idea anyway.

Here's what you do:
The red/black wire on the fog relay is held at 12V unless the fogs are switched on, in which case it drops to 0V. The footwell light bulb has an orange wire (always +12) and a black wire (+12 when light off, 0 when light on) the idea is to use the diodes to make a logic OR gate on the red/black wire on the fog relay. Cut the red/black wire, and attach the anode of both diodes to the end of the wire going into the relay. Then attach the cathode of one diode to the other end of the cut red/black wire. Attach the cathode of the other diode to a piece of hookup wire spliced into the black wire on the footwell light. The diodes allow either wire to turn on the relay, while preventing the footwell light and fog switch from messing with each other. The fogs will still work as before with the fog switch, but will also turn on with the footwell light. Make sure you use electrical tape around all of your solder connections. Let me know if I should post a picture of the circuit description. It seems simple to me, but then again I am an EE

Dave
'99 silver frost svt

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Ohhhhh..... Daaaave! The second I get my new pads in, we are so doing this mod. Great job, you have some excellent ideas with these 'tours. We might have to hit my windshield runners with your sander also, I tried and tried, and just can't get them as glossy black as yours. I'll be in touch!

* Marine Officer Candidate * My Cardomain Page 1998 EO Black SVTC #3388
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
so when your doors are open, your fog lights are also on?

Is there a solution for the DRL & fog light fix mod?
I have both. Basically, my DRL mod took over my FLF. Any way to wire up something to kill the DRL relay once the parking lights are turned on? (thus enabling use of the FLF?) On many vehicles, the DRL's go off when the Ebrake is engaged just one click.

Thanks
duratec dave

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Well, I'm reviving another thread from the dead! I just got done doing this, and let me tell ya.... sweet! It was a piece of cake to do, a bit longer than the regular fog light mod, but worth it. I have yet to mess with it at night, which is mainly why I did it, but I'm sure it'll be a great feature!

The reason I did it was it would be nice to have the fogs giving a slight illumination at night when I get out, kind of how the modern cars have headlights with the 1 minute delay after you get out. This is only about 5 seconds or so, but it still will help. I recommend this li'l mod, it's cheap, easy, and helps with daily activities.

Oh, and to make it easier, I bought my diode's for 1.49 from RadioShack, part # 276-1143. 3 amps, 200 PIV. Oh and in case you don't know which end is the cathode, and which is the anode, the non silver tipped end goes to the fog relay, and the tipped ends go to the black/red wire, and the footwell light black wire.

Good Luck!

* Marine Officer Candidate * My Cardomain Page 1998 EO Black SVTC #3388

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard