Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Guys, lets not forget about the PCV valve. Blow by can often be caused by a pluged up PCV valve. It may not by the source of your blow by problem, but if compression is normal, it's an often over looked place to start. Also check all of the PCV plumbing. I don't recall if yo mentioned if it's a Zetec you have chances are the PCV valve was never changed because it is in a BI**H of a place to get at(behind the exhaust manifold). I've seen it a few times with cars I bought from the auction. It's a cheap part to replace in anycase.

Parting out 95-97 Contours/Mystiques. Contact me directly at ALFIGOLS@yahoo.com if you're looking for a particular part.
C
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Well, i already replaced the PCV valve with no avail. How much are the piston rings gonna cost me if i decide to fix it?

"Here's a mirror, see your stupid face!"
S
Zippy Zetec on his last legs.
S
alot, but if you can do a headgasket, you cando the rings...i would say for 150-200. if you pay to have it done, scrap the car (send it to me)...and buy another...it wont be worth it

EDIT (this is all providing you have a zetec)

Regards, Cole. Relegating to troll status sometime this week. New Whip: 1990 Lexus ES250. Old Hotness: 1995 GL MTX Zetec *IN TRIAGE* "I had a little friend once, but it dont move no more... "
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Even if you've changed the PCV valve you need to check ALL of the associated plumbing. The hoses on the engine side(as opposed to the air intake side)can get sludged up or blocked with carbon. I've seen it a number of times.

Also, if the PCV system isn't the trouble, don't just assume that a set of rings will fix it. You need to do a compression check first. If you have enough blow by to push out that much oil then there is a possibility that you have a broken ring or two, a damaged piston, damaged cylinder bore, bent or otherwise damaged valve, etc.. A compression check will tell you more(but not everything). Keep in mind too that a broken ring will scratch up a cylinder wall enough to need boring. It's not just as simple as removing the old and installing the new. In addition, a broken ring will also wear the ring gap of the piston requiring the piston to be replaced.

If you have good, even compression on all cylinders then I would lean towards the PCV or breather side(also check the TB for plugged vaccumm ports). Seeing how it's worse with the synthetic I would normally lean more towards worn rings, but typically you would get a rough running engine if you were blowing out that much oil. That's whats throwing me off here a little.

In the end if it's something major, with the miles you have you're better off replacing the engine with a lower mileage one. They're a dime a dozen and will cost you much less that a rebuild. Especially if you're never done an enginerebuild before(you never mentioned your mechanical ability).

Good luck!

Parting out 95-97 Contours/Mystiques. Contact me directly at ALFIGOLS@yahoo.com if you're looking for a particular part.
S
S
what i would do, (if i were in you shoes...thankfully im not) is buy a low mileage used engine. keep this one as a backup. having an extra engine to tinker with is an excellent way to learn about whichever car you drive...i intend to do this if the need ever arises.

Regards, Cole. Relegating to troll status sometime this week. New Whip: 1990 Lexus ES250. Old Hotness: 1995 GL MTX Zetec *IN TRIAGE* "I had a little friend once, but it dont move no more... "
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard