Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
other post

read my last post

98.5 Black SE ATX S&B filter, SVT MAF, optimized SVT TB, mesh grille, removed orange reflectors, painted rear reflector, gutted pre-cats, optimized SVT LIM, 19lb injectors, resonator removed cant afford an svt but lookin for 1 in nc
CEG\'er
CEG\'er

Once upon a time the motor in my 2000 svt locked up , due to plastic water pump .so i got a factory remanufactured long block from ford with the 3year/36K warranty.so i figure while i have a brand spanking new motor this would be a good time to switch to synthetic.

so on my third oil change i filled it up with 6 quarts of
castrol synthetic 5w30 weight as stated in the manual.oh yea the manual says you don't need synthetic in the svt but if you want to change to synthetic after the 6K break in period your more than welcome to but it doesn't require it.

anyway so about 1000 miles i check my fliuds and notice the engine is two quarts low.so i figure its a new motor and first time for synthetic to maybe it normal.on my forth oil change i again use 6 quarts of castrol synthetic 5w30.

i change my oil every 3000 miles because i'm a nut. i know you can get more miles out of every oil change but changing the oil on a regular basis is the key i believe.

so after 6 quarts on my forth oil change i check the motor after another 1000 miles and again 2 quarts low. where does this oil go ??? anyway i have since switch back to regular dino oil i get from the dealer when i get it changed.

with the regular 5w30 ford motor even after 3000 i lose less than a quarter of a quart.

Keeping it dino and changing it religously.

2000 silver frost svt
---------------------
yokohama AVS ES100's 225-45-16
optimized t/b,half shaft removed,shaved & polished butterfly
K&N ru-3530,KKM adapter, rubbermiad bread box heatshield
mufflers removed replaced with straight pipes & 3" tips
white hvac overlays
roush shift knob
- meguiar's gold class -

-2000 csvt silver frost #1619 -magnaflow 14415 -optimized T/B & y-pipe -superchips xgt1 -75mm proflow maf -K&N RU-3530 -fsvt smart pump # 354Z-9H307-BC -spec stage one, LSD -low-tek,a/f,oil press.,volts -B&M short shifter -17" konig gt-r
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
man i never loose that much oil, good question where is all your synthetic going???

98.5 Black SE ATX S&B filter, SVT MAF, optimized SVT TB, mesh grille, removed orange reflectors, painted rear reflector, gutted pre-cats, optimized SVT LIM, 19lb injectors, resonator removed cant afford an svt but lookin for 1 in nc
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
I used to use synthetic 5W30 oil...it seeped right through the lower gaskets! No such problem with regular 5W30.

1998 Ford Contour GL Sport 2.5 V6 MTX in Black @ 322ks BMW 335i = Lexus IS350 in your rearview mirror
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by BARTECH:
I used to use synthetic 5W30 oil...it seeped right through the lower gaskets! No such problem with regular 5W30.

The reason it seeped through (like stated above in previous posts) is becasue the leak was already present there....Dyno oil leaves deposits that can fill leaks.

Synthetic oil cleans out thoes deposits and makes the leaks noticeable...By not taking car of the leaks you can have a bigger problme later than now. people thinking that synthetic oil causes leak, is a common misconception.

Lupe

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
If it worked, why the hell did you change?

My car has been using all 10w-30 standard valvoline, and my engine runs strong... but i feel my timing off just a bit...

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B

The reason it seeped through (like stated above in previous posts) is becasue the leak was already present there....Dyno oil leaves deposits that can fill leaks.

Synthetic oil cleans out thoes deposits and makes the leaks noticeable...By not taking car of the leaks you can have a bigger problme later than now. people thinking that synthetic oil causes leak, is a common misconception.

Lupe

Hmm I don't know who out there would think synthetic oil would cause a leak....but anyway...regular 5W30 oil is the way to go if You do have a leak of some sorts. I have a very small leak from the oil pan gasket. But it's so small that I don't see the oil level going down on the dipstick. Only when I was using 5W30 synthetic did I have to add 1/2 litre between oil changes.

1998 Ford Contour GL Sport 2.5 V6 MTX in Black @ 322ks BMW 335i = Lexus IS350 in your rearview mirror
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I switched at 50k and never have leaked or lost oil.

Furthermore, I can now consider that my engine will look the same at 300k as it did at 50k. Ridiculous? Sure, because the rest of the car will probably not last that long, or I'll spin a bearing, or something else will go long before I hit that point. But meanwhile, the engine has scientifically proven better protection against oil failure.

But who cares about that? I also got a slight hp boost, and the engine runs smoother and cooler, and that's a benefit I don't have to wait 200,000 miles to appreciate.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by BARTECH:

Lupe

Hmm I don't know who out there would think synthetic oil would cause a leak....but anyway...regular 5W30 oil is the way to go if You do have a leak of some sorts. I have a very small leak from the oil pan gasket. But it's so small that I don't see the oil level going down on the dipstick. Only when I was using 5W30 synthetic did I have to add 1/2 litre between oil changes.

Check out the archives if you get a chance...or do a search in the forums.
Iv have read many posts and corrected a few people that have stated that Synthetic caused there leasks...but like i said before its not true....people with that misconception are out there, as a few of my friends were one of them.

Lupe

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
D
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
D
Lupe,

It may not be the cause of the leak, but it can expose leaks that would not have shown up when using conventional oils. The end result is the same for those who did get leaking problems.

Before synthetic=no leak
after syn=leak

It doesn't matter what the cause is, the result is an oil leak.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard