Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
Well I have been using Mobil 1 in my car since around 20,000 - 30,000 km and I am now at 293,000 KM and have never, touch wood, had any problems at all. I don't even burn oil.

1998 BLK SVT CONTOUR #2980 of 6535 395,000(ish) km (and counting) SVTOA-TORONTO Chapter Director www.svtoa-toronto.ca
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
I find all these posts funny (peculiar, not haha) because I asked a similiar question a few months ago and the answers then didn't say anything about synthetics accelerating an existing problem. My question was that with synthetic oil, I find that all 3 of my cars use oil. I check them each month and more often than not, I have to add oil, not alot, but enough to check. None of them leak, drip, puddle, smoke, etc. All the cars had 50K+ when I made the switch. I don't know if it's my butt dyno, but they all seem to run better now. I'll live with periodically adding oil, but I still don't have a concrete answer as to where the oil is actually going. Hopefully, there is not a problem in all 3 cars the oil is going to make happen sooner.

WA 2 TUFF SVT 2000 Tropic Green SVT Born 1/28/2000-1975 out of 2150-only 207 made. Some new pics
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
i guess because as said above the oil molecules are smaller a little bit of it is gettting burned off, just a guess dont know for sure, but i have heard that for the duratec's it is not uncommon for it to loose a little oil over a period of time, and that the engine is perfectly fine in it

98.5 Black SE ATX S&B filter, SVT MAF, optimized SVT TB, mesh grille, removed orange reflectors, painted rear reflector, gutted pre-cats, optimized SVT LIM, 19lb injectors, resonator removed cant afford an svt but lookin for 1 in nc
D
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
D
Originally posted by bigerik:

Synthetic does not cause leaks. PERIOD.
For a leak to start after the change, the problem had to exist allready. In other words, you had big problems in the VERY near future.
Synthetic beats regular oil in every way. Will not go into the power or fuel mileage debate here, or even value for money, but it IS better oil.
Synthetic blend is basically just snake oil. Either use dino oil or synthetic.
Erik

I don't think anyone will argue it is superior oil. The argument is exactly where you said you won't go. Conventional oils will provide the same protection as Synthetic in 99.9999999999999999999999% of the applications it is used in and generally do it at a lower cost. Well, let's just say 99.9% to not exaggerate. If you want to spend more money on something that will have completely negligible results during a normal lifespan of a vehicle, then by all means do it. But don't do it because you feel you "need" to. My grandma driving 1/2 mile a day every couple of days probably has more of a need for synthetic than the most aggressive drivers on this site. I advised against switching to synthetics just because I find it difficult to justify the cost, not because of the potential leaking issue which leads me to my next quasi-rant

The argument about synthetics not causing oil leaks is technically true, but it's very semantical. I don't believe for a second that a major oil leak with conventionals was imminent with regard to the original poster. I'm sure there are cases where it will happen regardless of oil type. I belong to 15 car forums and have read countless threads about people switching to synthetics and finding oil leaks almost immediately. To think that each of the leaks would have happened almost immediately is foolish, in my opinion. Would they happen regardless of oil type in time? Of course, but it could also not show up as a significant problem for years.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
D
D
Originally posted by gearhead98:
i hate to get on everyone's bad side about this but i believe the cars need 5w-20 instead of 5w-30, here is why

oil recommendations

and read the whole thing before you bite my head off about it, and i am not trying to say that all you out there using 5w-30 and any other weight are wrong just maybe uninformed

I know some people who are pretty heavily involved in setting world and US oil standards who believe that Ford is treading on some semi-dangerous ground in order to acheive marginal increases in gas mileage.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
I don't know about your leaking issues and what not but i used to use GTX 5-30 in my 1995 SHO with 131k on it. Car was a rocket! Switched to 5-30 Mobil one and the Engine almost instantly like 4 miles down the road started with a ticking noise. 24 miles later BLEW up.. Spun bearing cuased the #6 piston to stop rotating and in turn shattered the connecting rod. Could mobil one be the cuase sure i guess or it could have been that the Car would Rev to like 8300rpm everyday. Could be a wierd coincidence.

I used mobil one the whole life of My CSVT and noticed one difference.. GTX temp would be higher than with the Mobil 1.

Ok Tenzo 4 life!

G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by dnewma04:
i hate to get on everyone's bad side about this but i believe the cars need 5w-20 instead of 5w-30, here is why

oil recommendations

and read the whole thing before you bite my head off about it, and i am not trying to say that all you out there using 5w-30 and any other weight are wrong just maybe uninformed

I know some people who are pretty heavily involved in setting world and US oil standards who believe that Ford is treading on some semi-dangerous ground in order to acheive marginal increases in gas mileage.

look at my post under general mods and see what you think

98.5 Black SE ATX S&B filter, SVT MAF, optimized SVT TB, mesh grille, removed orange reflectors, painted rear reflector, gutted pre-cats, optimized SVT LIM, 19lb injectors, resonator removed cant afford an svt but lookin for 1 in nc
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Only time I have had a car with oil leaking problem was due to worn/torn rubber on the screw that holds the oil in. Replaced it and no more leakage.

I switched my SVT couple years ago and haven't seen any problems. Goes 5k miles without any noticeable drop in oil level.

98.5 Contour SVT "Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country" --US President George W Bush
D
D
gearhead,

I read your post, are you looking for my opinion on what I would recommend you run? Or is there something in there that I missed that may make me change my mind about 5w20?

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D

oil recommendations

No you just posted a link to a old post that stated Ford has deemed "said" engines to be able to run the CAFE/EPA improving 5W20.

Ford only picked 5W20 because it raised their average fleet MPG. This way they could sell more trucks and not have to make them actually run any more efficiently!

It is NOT because it makes the engines last longer. It actually causes a lot more long term wear on the engine to run with a much thinner, less protective oil.
Oil viscosity is a trade off between overall operating protection, parasitic drag, and start up flowability. (since most wear occurs at startup!)

Please get your facts straight because this thread is already chalked full with enough blatantly ignorant posts.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard