Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Originally posted by contourGL1996:
It's not "leaking" it's pouring out the breather on the top. And the 20w-50 is only temporary until we figure out whats going on with it. (Figure, thicker oil, less chance of leakage)

Usually when oil is coming out of the breather, there is excessive pressure in the motor.
this is caused by a faulty PCV system.
try changing your PCV valve and see if that fixes your problem.

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
O
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
O
I switched my zetec over to 10w-30 at about 75000 miles and ran 10w-30 in her through winter and summer for two years. I tried 5w-30 in her but she hated it. Then I got in the wreck and no more zetec. She had 120,000 miles on her, 45,000 miles of castrol syntec 10w-30 and she had full compression on all four after the wreck (engine was still perfect cept for radiator and power steering).

Now I have this honda accord with over 180,000 miles. I switch over to castrol syntec 10w-30 and voila, perfect. The car runs like a dream, no oil leaks whatsoever and she no longer burns oil.

So whoever said you can't change engines with over such and such miles.... you're a liar!

95 Mystique GS Zetec ATX: Dead - Dec 5th, 2003 94 Accord LX 2.2L MTX Non-Vtec. Few bolt ons. 02 Escape XLT 3.0 V6 ATX. This thing has the CD4E in it?! What the hell was ford thinking?
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
This will happen quite frequently (I hesitate only slightly from using always) when switching from dyno to synthetic on medium to high mileage vehicles. This is because synthetic has smaller molecules which will find and penetrate smaller cracks than dyno. There's a high chance you can stop the leak by switching back to dyno, or using autorx at http://autorx.com. See http://bobistheoilguy.com for any questions you ever had on oil, lubrication, filters, and additives.

Last edited by fdunford; 07/06/04 01:59 PM.

96 Sport 2.0L - 190,XXX miles
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
Pcv system needs checked out. Should be something on this I remember others having this trouble, regardless the type of oil. I don't have a Zetec, sorry no experience.

Paul

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
C
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C

Usually when oil is coming out of the breather, there is excessive pressure in the motor.
this is caused by a faulty PCV system.
try changing your PCV valve and see if that fixes your problem.

I actually did just change the PCV valve yesterday but the oil is still coming out of the breather.

"Here's a mirror, see your stupid face!"
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
odd.

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
C
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
No leakage today so keep your fingers crossed.

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B

Synthetic does not cause leaks. PERIOD.
For a leak to start after the change, the problem had to exist allready. In other words, you had big problems in the VERY near future.
Synthetic beats regular oil in every way. Will not go into the power or fuel mileage debate here, or even value for money, but it IS better oil.
Synthetic blend is basically just snake oil. Either use dino oil or synthetic.
Erik

95 LX/SE V6 5 Speed NUN 1 http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/588083 "The Contour SE is the best American car I have ever driven and one of the best cars period." Larry Griffin - C&D
C
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Well, i spoke too soon, it's still leaking. I've come to the conclusion however that it only leaks when im really pushing my car. I drove around like an old guy for the most part yesterday with no leaks but on my way home last night i drove like normal and there was oil everywhere....

G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
i hate to get on everyone's bad side about this but i believe the cars need 5w-20 instead of 5w-30, here is why

oil recommendations

and read the whole thing before you bite my head off about it, and i am not trying to say that all you out there using 5w-30 and any other weight are wrong just maybe uninformed

98.5 Black SE ATX S&B filter, SVT MAF, optimized SVT TB, mesh grille, removed orange reflectors, painted rear reflector, gutted pre-cats, optimized SVT LIM, 19lb injectors, resonator removed cant afford an svt but lookin for 1 in nc
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard