Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
caltour Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
I think my timing belt is a little loose. Is the timing belt tensioner adjustable?

P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Yes, in a sense: you get the spring and post to set proper tension, install them, loosen the main bolt on the tensioner, let it settle into the tighter position under spring tension, then retighten the bolt.

L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Originally posted by Paul Kienitz:
Yes, in a sense: you get the spring and post to set proper tension, install them, loosen the main bolt on the tensioner, let it settle into the tighter position under spring tension, then retighten the bolt.

What he said.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
C
caltour Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Thanks, guys, but I don't know what spring or post you are referring to, or how I get them to set the proper tension.

Maybe somebody has a photo they can post?

W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
In another sense - No . The belt is held in tension by a spring loaded wheel. As the belt stretches the spring is designed to press the wheel against the belt to remove slack. Cleaning it, readjusting it, may help. It may be worn out, or just the belt may need replacing.
Question
How many miles on the belt?
Ford says replace belt at 100 t0 125 k miles.

2012 Lotus Evora --------- 95 Mystique MTX - GONE 395,000 Kms --------- Both Zetecs '97 Contour Mtx - stock - GONE
C
caltour Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Westcoastajax, the belt (and the whole car) have 27,000 miles on them.

I just now got the top cover off and got a good look at the belt and tensioner. They look like new. The tensioner seems to be holding the belt tight. Everything looks good.

The reason I asked about adjusting the tensioner is because the motor is making a rattling sound in that general area. Fairly loud, but not metallic. Now that I've removed the cover and see the belt and tensioner look OK, I don't know what the hell could be causing it.

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by caltour:

I just now got the top cover off and got a good look at the belt and tensioner. They look like new. The tensioner seems to be holding the belt tight. Everything looks good.

The reason I asked about adjusting the tensioner is because the motor is making a rattling sound in that general area. Fairly loud, but not metallic. Now that I've removed the cover and see the belt and tensioner look OK, I don't know what the hell could be causing it.

Is there too much play between the cam gears? No matter how much you try to tighten it at the adjuster you'll still have a rattle, and or a bad idle...unless you adjust the belt, using the proper technique [the right tools and remembering to loosen the cam pulley bolts when setting your tension].

C
caltour Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by MeanGreen2:

Is there too much play between the cam gears? No matter how much you try to tighten it at the adjuster you'll still have a rattle, and or a bad idle...unless you adjust the belt, using the proper technique [the right tools and remembering to loosen the cam pulley bolts when setting your tension].

Thanks for the info. The belt has only about 1/8th of an inch of play between the cam gears. I don't know what how much play there is supposed to be, but it seems fairly tight.

I have the top cover off, and I can't see anything the belt could be rattling against. Are there any other parts on a Zetec that might cause this rattling sound?

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by MeanGreen2:

Thanks for the info. The belt has only about 1/8th of an inch of play between the cam gears. I don't know what how much play there is supposed to be, but it seems fairly tight.

I have the top cover off, and I can't see anything the belt could be rattling against. Are there any other parts on a Zetec that might cause this rattling sound?

Did the rattle go away, once the top cover was removed? That's a common source for noise...the top cover, when the belt is real loose and old, or when it's just been replaced, w/o the proper tools and methods.

I can't think of anything else that would *rattle*...except maybe your converter...my Hi-Flo Y-Pipe rattled at an idle, or if you'd barely increase the idle. Maybe if you could stick a heater hose in your ear [being serious]...or at least a paper towel roll [just don't let anybody see you], you might be able to pinpoint the noise a little bit better.

Happy 4th

C
caltour Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Meangreen, the rattle didn't go away after I took off the cover. Same noise.

I did like you said, and I listened (using a wooden stick instead of a hose; I pressed one end of a dowel against various places on the motor, and pressed the other end against my ear), and I couldn't find the source of the noise.

Car has 27k miles, and the belt and everything else looks fine.

I don't think it's the converter, because the converter appears to be located in front of the motor, and the rattle seems to be coming from the upper passenger side of the motor. I'm stumped.

Aaaaarrrrgh!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard